Saturday, March 18, 2006

I recently posted about a TV ad which I had found in bad taste. Several people wrote in the Comments that they agreed with me; others felt that there was nothing wrong with the ad, and advised me to leave it alone. The following is for those well-wishers of the ad:

Not to worry, I have no intention to crusade. The SBI ad can go on as long as it can go on.

Incidentally, this might interest you: out of 29 people whom I asked about it while they were visiting my home, 20 did not even know what I was talking about; out of the balance nine, five remembered seeing the commercial, but didn't know what it was about. The other two knew that there was some connection with SBI, but did not know what the message was. Only one person knew that it had to do with the SBI debit card, but had not established the connection between the SBI card and an ex-pickpocket.

Now, I am not laughing, but, tiny and unorganised as my survey sample was, and completely urban, from among educated and affluent people, fulfilling all the criteria for filing income tax returns ten times over, if these people did not pay attention to or understand the ad, whose money is it anyway, and who is harmed or offended?

The longer it remains there, the longer one can avoid watching it.

No comments: