Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Externalise, Stand By, Let Life Pass You By

“To avoid bewilderment, dejection, unhappiness and incomprehension in conducting the act of living an imperfect life in an imperfect world, externalise your feelings,” he pontificated.

“But if I externalise my feelings, that means that I might not be able to feel happiness either, because I would not be able to feel anything internally, right?” I said.

“Yes, true. But then, since you have externalised your feelings, you won’t mind not feeling happiness, because not enjoying would also be externalised. You see the point, don’t you?” His eyes glinted.

“Well, sounds very good. How do I go about it? I continually feel that I am chewing all my internal organs because of my total maladjustment. So I would find a release. Now, pray tell me, how do I start to learn and practise externalising my feelings?”

“You have a problem there. We are all products of our environment. If you do not know how to externalise, or your system does not do it automatically in self-preservation, then it cannot be learned by you at this point in life. So you are condemned to suffer not only this deficiency in your system, but also the knowledge of it.”


I actually know people who externalise their feelings; a few whose bodies externalise the effects of wear and tear – remarkable. They make suitable societal statements, and demonstrate expressions, without actually experiencing them or feeling them. I envy them, and since I cannot externalise, my envy adds to my overall misery.

No comments: