Sunday, October 28, 2012

City Contrasts


All over the world, but especially in developing countries, the contrasts in the way life is lived within the mega-cities, defies rational or scientific reasoning or explanation.

This picture is of a building where the poorest of the poor somehow not only live, but thrive, reproduce, and do not want to be elsewhere. It is right across from one of the country's most expensive hotels. I do not know, as I take this picture, if I am guilty of some unknown omission, commission, or whether I am just a plain creature of circumstance, as are the occupants just beyond my window.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was overcome with nostalgia and emotions seeing these photos.

Although 34A "agaasi" looked bigger and better with balustreds, this reminds me of bare grey concrete with blackened edges and sloppy construction everywhere. I used to climb on roof over our rooms, not unlike the one in your photo,where steel water tank was set and it did did not have any parapet. I used to strut around like a heroshowing off people at 50, Canning street, Gandhi Building, 24 pollock strreet and others.

Proudly, I used to walk out on our 'agaasi' with bucketful of clothes that I had just washed and hang them neatly on wires, like your other photo. We were nice to our neighbors and allowed them to hang their washed clothes also.

If you are guilty of anything, it is to remind us how far we have come. "jaane kahan gaye woh din.."

Bhupen

Ramesh Gandhi said...

Tears come to my eyes easily, but not always with such amalgamation of affection and joyous feelings, which are still feelable, palpable, and retainable.

Thank you, Bhupen, for the struggling, loving and living that we did together, and can now reminisce on, together.

Anonymous said...

Bhai, Bhupen

Allow me to add my sentiments and tears to be mingled with yours. I hope not to dilute the effect.

charu