Monday, March 18, 2013

Retribution


We are used to seeing static, head-on images of Shiva Nataraja, the cosmic dancer. When I was asked to take pictures of a Nataraja idol sent to me by the Tamil Nadu Handicrafts Department in 1986, I stared and stared, wondering how to bring motion, dynamism, and, if possible, some rage and action to the picture. In my view, I succeeded, by taking the picture from the side instead of straight on.

This picture shows Shiva in motion, whirling, his hair flying, as if he has already taken a step forward, is astride, is just about to stamp once more, definitively, on the demon under his feet.

The Tamil saint Thirumalar's poem, from 1600 AD, complements my depiction:

When Siva dances his cosmic dance of knowledgebliss,
The Vedas dance, the Agamas dance, music and dance dances.
The lustrous universe dances, all the living beings dance, the entire world dances,
The primordial sound in which began all life dances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Extraordinary!...in every sense of the word...