Sunday, August 18, 2013

India Cheats

About 25 years ago I wrote a letter to the owner of one of India's leading publications, in which I had found several malpractices, while it proudly went about exposing scandals, deceits, statutory evasions, and corruption in general of others. I suggested that he start a magazine called INDIA CHEATS. In my proposal, I offered the idea that, as a starter to Cheating, I would write all of the articles under false names. There would be an inaugural issue, which would easily garner substantial revenue from people hungry for the kind of spiced-up stuff that would have been offered. Then, there would be no second issue. From among the defrauded and outraged subscribers, some would vociferously and in rage file suit against the magazine, and who but I would represent it in court. After angry testimony by the subscribers, the Judge would turn to me, and ask, "Well, what do you have to say?" I would rise and say, "Your Honour, my defense is very simple: since the magazine itself was named INDIA CHEATS, it would have violated its own purpose and the promise enshrined and epitomised in its title by publishing a second issue." The Judge would have had no choice but to announce his ruling, "Case Dismissed."

This old story came to my mind when I saw the hilarious, relevant and completely credible video "Man of Steal", which you can see below:


I hope you did not feel Cheated.

3 comments:

Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy said...

Baat itna seedhi hain, yahan cheat feel karne ki jagah yah wajah kidhar hain huzoor :-)

Anonymous said...

Bhai,

Au Contraire! I feel rewarded by your story. It will make a great movie too which you can direct yourself.

Funnily sad; of sadly funny; I cannot choose.

charu

Ramesh Gandhi said...

Likha hai teri baaton mein
Kiska taraana?
Agar use samajh sako to
Mujhe bhi samjhaana