Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Golden Cage


Rabindra Sangeet: the extent of its voluminous enormity I have always marvelled at, as probably many other ignorant people like me would also have done:  the variety, the ingrained musicality that every word generates, without the need for artifice to be sung or set to music.

Among those thousands (are they millions?) of songs, there are many, actually too many, which almost every Bengali singer or even singers from other disciplines and languages, have sung, rendered to music in their own typical style.  There are too many for me to claim as those which are my most favourite. Let me put it this way: most of them are my favourites. Among those that haunt me, and there are many, one of them is Dinguli Mor Sonar Khanchai (Daily My Golden Cage). I am obsessed with it, as I am obsessed also with many others. My reproduction of this one here should not be construed as special partiality.

At one time, the rendering of Dinguli by Pankaj Mallick was my most favourite. Now, I feel that Kishore's emoting surpasses the other master. Hence what follows below. I hope at least some of the people who read this will feel their minds and hearts flutter with a mixture of emotions, both at Tagore and Kishore Kumar.

Without a doubt, it would comfort me to hear from those who will take the trouble to tell me what they feel about this effort:


Dinguli Mor Sonar Khanchai
those many-hued days of mine
did not remain in the golden cage I made for them
they could not bear the bonds of laughter and tears

I had hoped that they would learn the language
of the song of my heart, but they flew away
without baring their hearts

as in a dream I see those days
some forms that hover around that golden cage
now lying shattered

can so much pain be imaginary
are they shadow birds
that they said nothing even to the skies

---------------------------

din guli more shonaar khaanchaaye
royilo na, royilo na
shei jey aamaar nana rongeir din guli
kaanna haashir baadhon
taara shoilo na, shoilo na
shei jey aamaar
nana rongeir din guli

aamaar praaneir gaaneir bhaasha
shikhbey taara chhilo asha
udey gailo 
udey gailo
shokole kotha boilo na 
koilo na
shei jey aamaar 
nana rongeir din guli

shopone dekhijaino tara kara shey ferey aamaar
bhaanga khaanchaar
chaaro pashey
aito bedon hoye ki faaki
ora ki shobe
chhayyar paakhi 
aakaash paarey 
kichhui ki go koilo na, koilo na
shei jey aamaar 
nana rongeir din guli

No comments: