Saturday, September 19, 2015

Up the Downstairs


when I went up and down the stairs
I stopped midway
and looked into the letterbox
where I found only cobwebs

and I wondered why
my heart always sank

and then I thought that somewhere
there was another letterbox
with someone looking into it
and not finding my letter
and feeling as disappointed
as I did
and saddened
as I was

***

As I grew up 
I learned to give 
before I took 
except unhappiness 
sadness 
depression 
which were mine 
and mine alone 
not to be shared

but that could not be
cannot be

(written in 1956)





1 comment:

Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy said...

...Dard Hai Saari Zindagi
Jiskaa Koyi Silaa Nahin
Dil Ko Fareb Dijiye
Aur Ye Hauslaa Nahin
Aur Ye Hauslaa Nahin

Khud Se To Badgumaan Na Ho
Khud Pe To Aitabaar Kar
Subah Zaroor Aayegi
Subah Ka Intazaar Kar

Gam Kii Andheri Raat Mein
Dil ko na beqaraar kar
Subah Zaroor Aayegi
Subah Ka Intazaar Kar...