Saturday, July 30, 2016

Maze

1981

I had not participated in any competitions, or even considered my pictures worthy of publication.  Mr. Srinivasan (Ilford) was the Secretary of the Photographic Society of Madras, and had grown fond of me after seeing my pictures at a couple of my one-man shows. He came home, and insisted that I should put up a few pictures in the All-India Salon (1982?). He selected a couple of them, and the above was one.  I could not believe it when I got a silver medal for this picture. This was the only competition I ever entered.

In addition, the Governor of that time, the Honorable Sadiq Ali, sent a request through an aide, saying that he wanted a print of this picture. That was a double astonishment for me, and perhaps my second or third visit to the Raj Bhavan, when I presented it to him. 

No comments: