Friday, August 05, 2016

A Ruined Fortress

(1979)

This is a picture from the first color roll I ever shot.  I was in Bangalore, and some friends took me to Chamundeshwari Hill. When I opened my camera bag I found that I had run out of black and white film; but there were some color rolls which had been presented to me from time to time by various foreign friends.

The rolls were probably eight years expired by then, but I took a chance with one of them.

Looking at this picture now, I think of the many tragedies around the world, especially in the Middle East: images which I see on TV, where violence has left behind destruction and ruin, all of the inclemencies that man invents and inflicts.

I wanted to make this picture look very large, and I think that I succeeded; but in fact, the opening was only the size of a brick which had fallen from the wall.

1 comment:

Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy said...

...Beete dinon ki yaad thi jinme,
Mai wo taraane bhool chuka
Aaj nayi manzil hai meri,
Kal ke thikaane bhul chuka
Na woh dil na sanam,
Na woh deen dharam
Ab door hoon sare gunaahon se

Aaj purani raahon se
Koyi mujhe aawaaj na de.....