Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Vanity Flair


In early '60s, I tried very hard to like William Thackeray's Vanity Fair. The more I tried, the more I failed. Even as a self-proclaimed expert on world cinema, I had to criticise the big-budget film in the 80's (or 90's?).

I ran into Thackeray again, this time only through Kubrick's much-hyped, most secret and long-drawn-out making of Barry Lyndon.  That sank, and with it sank the careers of many people who either acted in the film or were involved in the making of it.  Ryan O'Neal's career perished; the producer who financed may have survived, but not before vowing never to work with Kubrick's idiosyncracies again.

With this photograph that I took, I am at last at peace, if not with Thackeray, or his Vanity, at least with mine, and have rested the subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jaisey sehra mein raat phoolon ki

maqdoom mohiuddeen